A densely flavoured and fleshy wine with hints of prunes and chocolate covered black cherry combined with fresh herbs, quite delicious.
In 1962, 19 vine growers from San Marzano whose families had farmed the land for generations, combined their efforts to establish ‘Cantine San Marzano’. Through the decades this cooperative has grown significantly, attracting over 1,200 vine growers. Using modern and technologically advanced vinification techniques they produce elegant wines that pay homage to the ancient Apulian wine traditions. The fusion of time honoured tradition, passion and contemporary techniques, enables this winery to produce wines with distinctive varietal and regional characteristics while reflecting the local terroir. In the Sommelier Wine Awards, San Marzano was awarded European Producer of the Year 2017.
A mild winter and spring was followed by a very hot summer, which caused a rapid maturation of the grapes due to dehydration of the vines. The harvest took place earlier than usual, with lower yields of excellent quality grapes with good flavour concentration. The wines have been cellared in the bottle in order to reach the perfect harmony.
The grapes come from the central area of D.O.P. “Primitivo di Manduria”, where they are grown in very old vineyards in San Marzano and Sava. They are planted at a density of 5,000 bush vines per hectare. The soil is mainly red with a fine texture and is generally calcareous with few emerging rocks. The renowned red hue of the soils is due to the presence of iron oxides. The climate is characterised by high temperatures all year round, very little rainfall and a wide diurnal temperature range, which has a positive influence on the quality of the grapes, concentrating the flavours in the berries. The harvest takes place during the second half of September.
The grapes were hand-harvested once they had reached an advanced state of ripening. 80% of the must was macerated for a period of 18 days, with the remaining 20% being macerated for slightly longer, approximately 25 days, imparting complexity and a layered dimension in the resulting wine. Temperature-controlled fermentation took place at 24 to 26°C, with native yeasts from the vineyard. The wine was matured for 18 months in fine French and American oak barrels.
Deep and complex flavours of prunes, black cherry jam, spice and tobacco weave through the full bodied palate with its velvety texture and long, complex finish of cocoa, coffee and vanilla bean. Quite delicious.
The perfect partner with red meat, game and savoury first courses.
Winemaker: Caterina Bellanova & Davide Ragusa
Sub region: Primitivo di Manduria
Body Value: D (A is light, E is full bodied)
Residual Sugar: 16
Contains Sulphites: Yes
Formats Available: 75cl, 150cl
Closure: Natural Cork