Kamptal, Lower Austria
Vegan / Organic / Biodynamic
Fred Loimer owns 80 hectares around Langenlois, in the sunny Kamptal region of Lower Austria. Fred attended Austria’s renowned Klosterneuburg University and gained valuable experience in Nahe, Germany and the Napa Valley before taking over the winery from his father in 1997. Unlike many Austrian producers who go for an overly rich and sweet style, Fred gets full ripeness in the vineyard yet ferments to dryness, managing to produce wines with lovely definition, zest and balance on the palate.
Situated 200 to 400 metres above sea level, the climate of the Kamp Valley is characterised by cool nights and warm days, with a long, sunny autumn. The high summer temperatures are mitigated by the River Danube and the Waldviertel (forested area). The long growing season and the difference in temperature between night and day gives the grapes a chance to reach full ripeness and develop fine perfumes and flavours. The grapes for this wine are grown in fine, old vineyards around Langenlois and nearby areas. 80% of the vines are grown in loess soils and the remaining 20% in weathered gneiss soil.
The hand picked grapes underwent a short maceration (up to two hours) before being pressed, fined and fermented. 95% of the fruit was fermented in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks at 20-22°C for two to four weeks with the remaining 5% fermented in large oak barrels. The wine fermented in tanks remained on fine lees for 4 months to add depth and complexity before blending with the small percentage of wine that was barrel fermented.
This wine is pale yellow in colour. On the nose, there are aromas of herbs with fresh green apple. On the palate, this wine is juicy and well-balanced with a touch of minerality on the finish.